Welcome to the Standard Deduction lesson. This lesson teaches you how to calculate the allowable portion of the standard deduction for Puerto Rican taxpayers with exempt income who do not itemize expenses.
Forms referenced in this lesson include:
- Form 13614-C, Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet
- Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
You can also refer to the following resources:
- Publication 4696PR, Puerto Rico Resource Guide for helpful tips on preparing tax returns
- Publication 4012, Volunteer Resource Guide for helpful tips on preparing tax returns
- Publication 1321, Special Instructions for Bona Fide Residents of Puerto Rico Who Must File A U.S. Individual Tax Return, for a worksheet on computing the allowable portion of the standard deduction.
- Link & Learn Taxes, Standard Deduction, for information on using worksheets and charts to select the correct standard deduction
Note: In this lesson, you'll be asked to calculate answers for practice questions. You may want to have a calculator on hand for assistance.