Internal Revenue Service United States Department of the Treasury
Level Basic Advanced Military International

Health Savings Accounts (HSA)

HSA Rollovers or Transfers

Rollover Contributions

Generally, a rollover is a tax-free distribution to the taxpayer of cash or other assets from one HSA that the taxpayer contributes to another HSA. The contribution to the second HSA is called a rollover contribution; these contributions:

  • Are not included in taxpayers' income
  • Are not deductible
  • Do not reduce taxpayers' contribution limit

Taxpayers can also roll over amounts from Archer MSAs into an HSA. They do not have to be eligible individuals to make a rollover contribution from their existing HSA to a new HSA.

Rollovers are not subject to annual contribution limits and a rollover contribution is not always cash; for example, it could be a Certificate of Deposit (CD). The taxpayer must roll over the amount within 60 days after the date of receipt, and may only make one rollover contribution to an HSA during a one-year period.

See Publication 969 for more information on rollover contributions.


Mary became unemployed during the current tax year. She was required by her previous employer to move her HSA. She rolled over the amount within 60 days to a new HSA.


If the taxpayers have their HSA funds transferred directly into another HSA in a trustee-to-trustee transfer, this is not considered a rollover. There is no limit on the number of these transfers. Do not include the amount transferred in income, deduct it as a contribution or include it as a distribution on Form 8889.


Remember, Archer MSAs are out of scope for VITA/TCE. Refer taxpayers who have issues that involve Archer MSA to a professional tax preparer.

Form 8889

Form 8889