When taxpayers are ready to leave the site, show as much concern and interest as you did at the start of your time together:
- Ask taxpayers, "Do you have any questions before you leave?"
- Advise taxpayers how to get answers to questions that may come up later.
- Advise taxpayers to use the website Where’s My Refund on www.irs.gov to check the status on their refund
- If the taxpayer has a balance due on the current or prior year return, provide information about various payment options.
- Encourage taxpayers to consider volunteering if they seem interested in learning more about tax preparation. Provide them with contact information or take their contact information, depending on your site's procedures.
- Ensure that you have the contact information needed to reach the taxpayers in case there are any problems with the e-filing of the return.
- Thank the taxpayers for using the service.