Internal Revenue Service United States Department of the Treasury
Level Basic Advanced Military International

Refund and Amount of Tax Owed

Amount Owed

Taxpayer Interview and Tax Law Application

Seymour's Form 1040 shows his total tax is $450. His tax payments come to just $200. Therefore, Seymour owes $250. Here's how a volunteer explained to Seymour how to pay the amount he owes.

Sample Interview
The amount of tax you owe is $250. You can either mail in a check or money order with the payment voucher, use electronic funds withdrawal, or call in a credit card payment. You will have to pay an additional convenience fee for using a credit card. Hmm. How does electronic funds withdrawal work? Does it come out of my account right away?
No, we can designate the date that the debit will occur, any time up to April 15. I would just need to see proof of account to verify your bank account information so I can include the routing and account numbers in your electronic return. And there's no charge?
Right. And it saves you the trouble of mailing in the voucher with your payment. Sounds good to me. But I don't have my checking account information with me. Maybe I should just mail in my payment.
You can do that too. Here's Form 1040-V, which has been completed for you. Make your check or money order payable to "United States Treasury." If it's not already printed on the check, make sure it shows your name, address and daytime phone number. Also, print your social security number and "2014 Form 1040" on the front of your check. Then mail the payment with the voucher. I'll get the mailing address for you. That doesn't seem too hard.
Just make sure it gets postmarked by the due date. I can e-file your tax return right now, but it's up to you to make sure you send in your payment on time. Thank you for your help. I will make sure the payment is made on time.