Internal Revenue Service United States Department of the Treasury
Level Basic Advanced Military International

Adjustments to Income Workout

Penalties for Early Withdrawal

Form 1099-INT or Form 1099-OID

Taxpayers can adjust their income by deducting penalties they paid for withdrawing funds from a deferred interest account before maturity. Ask if the taxpayer and/or spouse made any early withdrawals during the tax year. If so, ask to see Form 1099-INT, Interest Income, or Form 1099-OID, Original Issue Discount, documenting the penalty.


Gloria withdrew $5000 from a one-year, deferred-interest certificate of deposit in the current tax year. She had to pay a penalty of three months' interest and can claim the penalty amount as an adjustment to income.

Tax Software Hint

To review information related to the software, go to the Volunteer Resource Guide, Adjustments tab.

Form 1099-INT