Internal Revenue Service United States Department of the Treasury
Level Basic Advanced Military International

Refundable Child Tax Credit

Who qualifies?

Who Qualifies?

To qualify for the refundable child tax credit, bona fide residents of Puerto Rico must have:

  • One or more qualifying children

This credit is available even if the taxpayers received no income. Also, retirees receiving a pension or annuity income could qualify for the new refundable child tax credit if all the other requirements are met. This credit is refundable and can be obtained by filing a federal tax return.

A bona fide resident of Puerto Rico who is not required to file form 1040 or 1040SR should use form 1040-PR or Form 1040 SS to claim the refundable child tax credit. Use Publication 972 for specific instructions if you are excluding income from Puerto Rico. If the taxpayer is subject to federal income tax, then Form 1040 and Schedule 8812 must be filed to claim the credit.

NOTE: a taxpayer cannot file Form 1040-PR and Form 1040 for the same tax year.

Tops of Form 1040 and 1040-PR.