Module 13: Electronic Tax Return Preparation and Transmission
Use a personal computer to prepare and transmit tax returns.
Expert systems (often called wizards) guide taxpayers through the process.
Requires a computer with a modem and/or Internet access.
- Alternative 1: Prepare tax return on personal computer, sign return with self-selected PIN, and transmit over the Internet. (Taxpayer purchases software.)
- Alternative 2: Prepare tax return online, sign return with self-selected PIN, and transmit over the Internet. (Taxpayer does not purchase software.)
A taxpayer prepares and transmits from:
- workplace (an employer-provided benefit)
- library (usually free)
- financial institution (usually free)
- business (usually for a fee)