Module 11: Earned Income Credit
To claim the earned income credit, taxpayers must meet all eight of the following rules:
- Earned income and adjusted gross income must be less than:
- $46,997 ($52,427 if Married Filing Jointly) with three or more qualifying children
- $43,756 ($49,186 if Married Filing Jointly) with two qualifying children
- $38,511 ($43,941 if Married Filing Jointly) with one qualifying child
- $14,590 ($20,020 if Married Filing Jointly) with no qualifying child
- Must have a valid social security number issued by the Social Security Administration.
- Cannot use the married filing a separate return filing status.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien all year. (Exception for married nonresident alien who chooses to be treated as a resident alien).
- Cannot file Form 2555 or Form 2555-EZ to exclude income earned in foreign countries.
- Investment income must be $3,350 or less. Investment income includes
taxable and tax-exempt interest, dividends, capital gain net
income, certain rental and royalty income, and net passive activity
- You must have earned income.
- Cannot be the qualifying child of another person.