There are several benefits from having an HSA. Some benefits of an HSA include the following:
- Amounts contributed to an HSA, except for employer contributions, can be used as an adjustment to income.
- Contributions to an HSA by an employer may be excluded from gross income; this includes contributions made through a Section 125 cafeteria plan.
- The contributions remain in the account and are carried over, without limit, from year to year until the taxpayer uses them.
- The interest and other earnings on the assets in the account are tax-free.
- Distributions will be tax-free if used to pay unreimbursed qualified medical expenses.
- An HSA is portable so it stays with taxpayers even if they change employers or leave the workforce.