Internal Revenue Service United States Department of the Treasury
Level Basic Advanced Military International

Refund and Amount of Tax Owed

Refund or Tax Due

Overpayments (continued)

Taxpayers who have overpaid can choose to:

  • Apply any portion of their overpayment to the following tax year
  • Receive all or part of their refund using direct deposit
  • Receive all or part of their refund as a check
  • Purchase Series I Savings Bonds

A field in the signature section at the bottom of Form 1040 labeled Identity Protection PIN is designed to help prevent refunds from being issued to an identity thief. See Form 1040 Instructions for more information.

For taxpayers who want to apply a portion of the overpayment to next year's taxes, enter the amount to be applied to the following year on the applicable line. By entering an amount on this line, the taxpayer is electing to apply all or a portion of the current year's overpayment to next year's estimated tax.

Form 1040 showing line for applying overpaid tax to next year's estimated tax.