Welcome to the Social Security Benefits lesson. This lesson is designed to teach tax preparers how to calculate the taxable portion of social security benefits for Puerto Rico residents who must file a U.S. tax return.
Forms referenced in this lesson include:
- Form 13614, Intake and Interview Sheet
You can also refer to the following:
- Publication 4696PR, Puerto Rico Resource Guide, for helpful tips on preparing tax returns
- Publication 4012, Volunteer Resource Guide, for helpful tips on preparing tax returns
- Publication 915, Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits, for a worksheet to calculate the taxable portion of benefits
- Link & Learn, Pension Income, for information on determining the taxable portion of social security benefits
NOTE: In this lesson, you'll be asked to calculate answers for practice questions. You may want to have a calculator on hand for assistance.